Faith Formation: Across the Diocese
The Diocese of Olympia’s Communications department produces the weekly Across the Diocese email.
Racial Healing Handbook: Summer Study Group with Iyabo Onipede
Tuesday evenings from June 1st through August 17, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. via Zoom.
Join others across our Diocese this summer to discuss racial justice, healing, and the Episcopal Church. This series is led by Inclusion, Equity, and Justice Specialist Dr. Iyabo Onipede. Thanks to Valerie Reinke at the Diocese of Olympia for extending this invitation to parishes!
Each of these 12 weekly meetings will start with remarks from Iyabo and then we'll break into small groups to review our personal workbook progress and insights. We'll finish as a large group sharing back any a-ha moments. Here's the 12-session outline:
- June 1 (6:30 – 7:30 p.m.) - Introduction & Overview – Forming Affinity Groups/Facilitators, other logistics.
- June 8 (all remaining meetings will go from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.) - Chapter 1: Know Your Racial Identity - Explore what you know about your racial identity and what you were taught (or not taught) about race and racism.
- June 15 - Chapter 2: Explore Your Internalized Racism - Identify belief systems about race and racism that aren’t yours and develop new and more helpful thoughts and feelings.
- June 22 - Chapter 3: (Re)learn the History of Racism - Discover new knowledge and gain a new understanding about racism and how this system of oppression works.
- June 29 - Chapter 4: Grieve and Name Racism - Acknowledge the stages of grief that come with more awareness, learning, and action on racism.
- July 6 - Chapter 5: Raise Your Race-Consciousness - Learn how to act more consciously as a racial being and be a positive influence on others to do the same.
- July 13 - Chapter 6: Catch Yourself in the Flow of Racism - Understand that racism can arise in spontaneous and unexpected ways, and develop skills to interrupt these instances.
- July 20 - Chapter 7: Understand Racism in Relationships - Recognize how racism plays out in interpersonal relationships across a variety of settings and learn to identify when it is happening.
- July 27 - Chapter 8: Reclaim Your Whole Racial Self - Honor the ways you have changed and the authenticity that comes with individual racial healing.
- August 3 - Chapter 9: Be a Racial Ally - Learn ways you can help others and work for racial justice.
- August 10 - Chapter 10: Engage in Collective Racial Healing - Find ways to build circles of accountability and support for community racial healing.
- August 17 - Conclusion – Time to Dream – What Does A Racially Just World Look Like?